Thursday, January 17, 2013

ANUGERAH NAIB CANSELOR 2012




Asssalammualaikum and salam sejahtera.

I am Melati binti Aipidi, an alumnus of Diploma in Information Management at UiTM Samarahan, Sarawak. Recently, I was graduated from UiTM Puncak Perdana on 28th November 2012 taking IM220: Bachelor Degree in Library Science and Information Management. It took only two years to have a Degree because it only has 4 semesters for the Post Diploma’s students to complete their study under the same faculty.

During my study in Bachelor Degree level, I took Library Management as my major and Records Management as my minor. There were not so many differences from what I had learnt during my Diploma time. It was just some advancement in the syllabus where more practical part needed to done instead of understanding the theoretical part only. However, Bachelor Degree is more challenging compared to Diploma where you have to be more independent in searching additional information for assignments or the subject itself, and the assignment is tough too.

In this writing, I want to take the opportunity to say how grateful I am to Allah because of His willingness; I can get this recognized achievement “ANUGERAH NAIB CANSELOR” for the second time. Moreover, I would like to thanks to my family who raised me up and who always become my loyal supporters, lecturers who continuously share their knowledge, advice and friends who always made my day and facilitated me in completing my assignments.

Some tips that I would like to share with the readers in order to get distinction and graduating with flying colors are stated as follows:

a. Lecturer and Reference Librarian – the subjects offered in the Degree’s level are more or less the same with the subjects that I’ve taken during my Diploma’s time. However, the syllabuses are more advanced in relation to suit the Degree’s qualification. It might be a little bit difficult for you to understand new subjects, so, you need to have your own initiative to improve your comprehension by meeting the lecturer for a proper consultation. In addition, since I become a Degree’s student, I consult with the reference librarian a lot. I knew the use of the reference librarian a bit too late because I only noticed the responsibility of the reference librarian during my final semester in Diploma. Since I already know the input and assistance that a reference librarian could offer to you, I frequently ask them to assist me for the best method that I can use to search information from reliable sources.

b. Be more energetic and contributes new ideas – Degree’s level is busier and challenging than Diploma’s level. In order for you to be more keyed up with the assignments’ demands, be more active in class by participating in the question and answer session, try to give new refreshing ideas to the class and be creative in doing your assignments. As a result, you’ll always be prepared for any works required to be done, feel more relaxed with the environment and gained self confidence. Just want to share with you, lecturer will easily noticed students that are active in class and this will give you some added advantages.

 c. Study method – everyone has their own study style which we cannot change in a blink of an eye. Therefore, I would like to share how I study.

i. Memorizing – I like to memorize the notes given in order to allow me to answer the questions asked in the examination. I find it easier to answer the questions with everything have been set up in the brain. You may think it is time consuming to memorize, but, if you understand the topic, it will be easier for you to memorize. Just memorize the important points, the elaboration of the point you can create by your own; based on the correct understanding and knowledge you have gained from class, lecturer or readings.

ii. Writing notes – whenever I studied, I like to write a note in order to summarize everything that I’ve been read and memorize. Not to forget, I will also make a messy drawing on the notes in order to help me remember the points from the picture I drew.

iii. Concentrating in class – although some lecturers may provide us notes, I still need to focus in their lecture. It is because you will understand more by listening instead of reading. Some lecturers who are clever enough to attract the students’ attention by the way they lecture might give good benefit for the student as well. I’m not being bias or anything, but, comfortable and attractive lecturers and lectures do contribute to the level of understanding of the students.

iv. Time management – I am not a type of student that will do work early. I like to procrastinating works. However, I’ll always be alert with the deadline to ensure I won’t be too late to submit the assignments. Plus, I am not a student that will come to class early and I even escape class once in a while. I’m not saying that even though I escaped class, I can still be excellent; it is just that I want to share to you that to be successful; you just have to be yourself at one moment. You can hold up your works if you want, but it is on your own risk. I like to delay my assignments because I work well under pressure because it has been set up in my brain that “I don’t have more time to waste, I need to finish this before the deadline which is tomorrow”. My advice is; don’t follow this bad habit if you don’t want the bad consequences occurred to you in the future time.

d. Be positive about the Information Management Faculty - Courses offered by our faculty might not as popular as other courses; however, you need to be positive about that. Just think that you are lucky enough to be able to be a part of the faculty because you are actually learning something that not many people have knowledge about it. It is because we are different and we learn something unusual that make us more marketable than the others. I am so thankful that I was offered to be a student in this faculty. Now, I am the alumni of it which will always make me proud.

You might think that the job opportunities might be gloomy for you by taking this course, but we never knows what Allah has planned for us. You just have to be sincere, serious and focus in your study, and then everything will fall into places.
I guess that is all I want to share with the readers. For your additional information, I went for my industrial training at the library of University Brunei Darussalam for two months as librarian. After finished the attachment period, I went back to my hometown in Limbang, Sarawak to complete my industrial training report and enjoy my short 2 months vacation before I officially graduated in November 2012.
   
After I graduated, I was hired by one of the leading IT Company in Brunei Darussalam. Now, I work in that company as a Software Engineer.

Thank you and good luck to all my juniors in UiTM Samarahan.

Melati binti Aipidi.

2 comments:

  1. cngrets..alhamdulillah..sy pun dpt gak..tp bru DIP..insyaALLAH degree sy nak try g... ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. mcm mana akak minta keje kat brunei tu?

    ReplyDelete